With Week 7 now in the books, it’s time to release our staff rankings that now factor in the weekend that was in college football.
Each of the seven members of the NDT staff (Kyle Crabbs, Joe Marino, Roger Dixon, Scott Bischoff, Jon Ledyard, Benjamin Solak and Jonah Tuls) submitted their individual top-15 rankings that factored into the composite list by averaging them together.
After two weeks of major shakeups, the top eight remain in the same slot and ten teams total. We welcome a new team to the top 15 while Notre Dame continues to rise. After a second loss, USC falls out of the picture.
*Last weeks rank in parenthesis.
- Alabama 8-0 (1) – The Tide continued its dominant season with a 45-7 win over Tennessee. Alabama is off this Saturday and host LSU the following week.
- Penn State 7-0 (2) – The Lions easily handled Michigan but travel to Ohio State and Michigan State over the next two weeks. So far, so good in a season-defining stretch for Penn State.
- Georgia 7-0 (3) – A rivalry game against Florida stands in the way of Georgia’s eight win. Florida has won its last three against Georgia by a minimum of 14 in each game.
- TCU 7-0 (4) – The Horned Frogs travel to Iowa State on Saturday. Remember, the Cyclones are responsible for the lone blemish in Oklahoma’s record.
- Wisconsin 7-0 (5) – The Badgers are feasting on a soft schedule but they continue to rack up dominant wins.
- Clemson 6-1 (6) – The Tigers come off its bye week and host a pesky option offense in Georgia Tech. While Clemson should be able to score on the Yellow Jackets, preparing for a ball-control option offense is no small task.
- Ohio State 6-1 (7) – The Buckeyes are on a tear ever since getting dominated by Oklahoma. They will have a chance to make a statement by beating Penn State on Saturday.
- Miami 6-0 (8) – It may not be pretty but the Canes keep stacking wins. An underwhelming UNC team awaits them on Saturday before two major tests in Virginia Tech and Notre Dame.
- Oklahoma 6-1 (10) – The Sooners last four games have all been decided by one score or less. After playing Texas Tech on Saturday, three of Oklahoma’s last four are against West Virginia, TCU and Oklahoma State.
- Notre Dame 6-1 (15) – The Irish went from outside the top 15, to No. 15 and now in the top 10 after walloping USC on Saturday. A big test against NC State awaits them on Saturday.
- Oklahoma State 6-1 (11) – The Cowboys defense finally had a strong showing in Saturday’s win over Texas but the offense has looked ordinary of late. Still, their only loss came against undefeated TCU.
- Virginia Tech 6-1 (13) – The Hokies have handled their business all season long minus the Clemson game. Don’t sleep on Virginia Tech.
- Washington 6-1 (12) – The Huskies host UCLA in its first game since dropping to Arizona State. It will be interesting to see how they respond coming off both a loss and a bye.
- NC State 6-1 (14) – NC State was idle last week but face Notre Dame and Clemson in a season-defining stretch. We will soon find out if the Pack is for real.
- South Florida 7-0 (NR) – The Bulls make their debut in our top 15 after ripping of seven wins in a row to start the season. They are the only non-power five school to crack our poll.
Others receiving votes: LSU, Washington State, UCF, Southern Cal.
Dropping Out: Southern Cal