With Week 7 now in the books, it’s time to release our staff rankings that now factor in the weekend that was in college football.
Each of the seven members of the NDT staff (Kyle Crabbs, Joe Marino, Roger Dixon, Scott Bischoff, Jon Ledyard, Benjamin Solak and Jonah Tuls) submitted their individual top-15 rankings that factored into the composite list by averaging them together.
Las week was a major shakeup but this week features a new team in every slot except Alabama who still clings to the number one position. Clemson and Washington losing pushed them down the rankings while we welcome two brand new programs to our top 15. There is also a new team in the coveted top four.
*Last weeks rank in parenthesis.
- Alabama 7-0 (1) – With Clemson’s loss to Syracuse, the Tide are back as the consensus No. 1 team according to our staff.
- Penn State 6-0 (3) – The Lions were idle last week but are the beneficiaries of Clemson’s loss to Syracuse as they rise to the No. 2 slot. A big showdown with Michigan awaits Penn State on Saturday.
- Georgia 7-0 (4) – Along with Alabama, Georgia is the only other Power 5 team with a 7-0 record. A rivalry game against Florida stands in the way of the Bulldogs eight win.
- TCU 6-0 (6) – The Horned Frogs are in the playoffs if the season ends today but it doesn’t. With that said, TCU should take care of Kansas on Saturday to continue its undefeated season.
- Wisconsin 6-0 (7) – The Badgers are feasting on a soft schedule but they continue to rack up wins.
- Clemson 6-1 (2) – The Tigers drop four spots after a shocking loss to Syracuse last Friday night. Remember, Clemson lost to Pittsburgh last season as still won the National Championship. One loss is not a kiss of death but they may need help to get back in the playoff picture.
- Ohio State 6-1 (8) – The Buckeyes are on a tear ever since getting dominated by Oklahoma. Ohio State is idle this week before taking on Penn State in Week 9.
- Miami 5-0 (11) – The Canes won in dramatic fashion the last two weeks but still found ways to pull out wins. A confident Syracuse teams hosts them on Saturday.
- Southern Cal 6-1 (10) – The Trojans held off Utah and continue to play its best in critical situations. A tough road game at Notre Dame is staring them in the face on Saturday.
- Oklahoma 5-1 (13) – A thrilling win over Texas calms the sting of the Iowa State loss. A fundamentally sound Kansas State squad hosts the Sooners on Saturday.
- Oklahoma State 5-1 (14) – Are the Cowboys underrated? The only loss came at the hands of undefeated TCU.
- Washington 6-1 (5) – Clemson’s loss dropped them four slots but the Huskies fell seven slots after falling to Arizona State.
- Virginia Tech 5-1 (15) – Aside from the Clemson loss, the Hokies have taken care of business and continue to creep back up our poll.
- NC State 6-1 (NR) – The Wolfpack make their debut on our poll after ripping off six straight victories. A fluky loss in Week One against South Carolina delayed their appearance. NC State is idle this week but face Notre Dame and Clemson after in a season-defining stretch.
- Notre Dame 6-1 (NR) – The Irish make their debut in the 15 slot amid a four game winning streak and its only losses coming against undefeated Georgia. Upcoming games against USC and NC State will dictate Notre Dame’s staying power.
Others receiving votes: South Florida, Michigan, LSU, Washington State, UCF.
Dropping Out: Washington State, Auburn.