With Week 6 now in the books, it’s time to release our staff rankings that now factor in the weekend that was in college football.
Each of the seven members of the NDT staff (Kyle Crabbs, Joe Marino, Roger Dixon, Scott Bischoff, Jon Ledyard, Benjamin Solak and Jonah Tuls) submitted their individual top-15 rankings that factored into the composite list by averaging them together.
The top-two teams remain the same but spots 3-15 were completely different than they were last week. Virginia Tech finds its way back into our rankings while Michigan’s loss to Michigan State gives them the boot. Oklahoma’s loss to Iowa State pushes the Sooners way down and Washington State continues to climb.
*Last weeks rank in parenthesis.
- Alabama 6-0 (1) – The Tide played a close – by their standards – game at Texas A&M where they pulled out an 8-point victory over the Aggies. It wasn’t as dominant as its previous 5 wins but Alabama continues to plow through its schedule.
- Clemson 6-0 (2) – The Tigers took care of Wake Forest and head to Syracuse on a short week. There is some concern about QB Kelly Bryant’s ankle although head coach Dabo Swinney expects him to play on Friday.
- Penn State 6-0 (4) – The “easy” part of Penn State’s schedule is now behind them and contests against Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State fall consecutively after this week’s bye.
- Georgia 6-0 (5) – Welcome to the coveted top-4! The Bulldog’s host Missouri on Saturday before facing Florida, South Carolina and Auburn in consecutive week’s. That stretch will define the season for UGA.
- Washington 6-0 (6) – While the schedule has been light, Washington has dominated its opponent every week. Next up is Arizona State on Saturday.
- TCU 5-0 (7) – Consecutive wins over Oklahoma State and West Virginia finds the Horned Frogs in the Big 12’s driver seat.
- Wisconsin 5-0 (8) – Defeating Nebraska on Saturday is the next example of the Badgers handling its business. A soft Big Ten schedule sets Wisconsin up nicely to play for the Big Ten championship game.
- Ohio State 5-1 (10) – The Buckeye’s have responded well after being embarrassed by Oklahoma at home in Week Two.
- Washington State 6-0 (13) – After shocking USC last week the Cougars dominated Oregon on the road, landing them in our top-10.
- Southern Cal 5-1 (11) – The Trojans responded to last week’s loss to Washington State with its most lopsided victory of the season over Oregon State.
- Miami 4-0 (12) – Miami pulled off a dramatic victory over Florida State on Saturday to remain undefeated. Georgia Tech and the option offense await the Hurricanes this week.
- Auburn 5-1 (14) – Is Auburn the most underrated team in the country? The only loss came at Clemson by an eight point margin and dominated the rest of its foes.
- Oklahoma 4-1 (3) – After sneaking by Baylor the Sooners fell to Iowa State on Saturday and appropriately dropped 10 spots in our poll.
- Oklahoma State 4-1 (15) – The idle Cowboys host Baylor on Saturday.
- Virginia Tech 5-1 (NR) – After a one week hiatus following a loss to Clemson, the Hokies are back in our poll. The Hokies will look to keep things rolling when they host North Carolina on Saturday.
Others receiving votes: South Florida, NC State, Michigan
Dropping Out: Michigan