With Week 5 now in the books, it’s time to release our staff rankings that now factor in the weekend that was in college football.
Each of the seven members of the NDT staff (Kyle Crabbs, Joe Marino, Roger Dixon, Scott Bischoff, Jon Ledyard, Benjamin Solak and Jonah Tuls) submitted their individual top-15 rankings that factored into the composite list by averaging them together.
For the second week in a row, the top five from the previous week’s poll held serve. Also for the second consecutive week, an unranked team from the prior week is now in the top-15. USC plummets after losing to Washington State while Georgia and TCU continue to trend up.
*Last weeks rank in parenthesis.
- Alabama 5-0 (1) – The Tide continues to roll with a 66-3 win over Ole Miss. With that said, they were not the consensus No. 1 team among our staff with Clemson receiving a first-place vote.
- Clemson 5-0 (2) – The Tigers arguably have the best resume in term of victories in the nation after defeating Virginia Tech on the road.
- Oklahoma 4-0 (3) – The idle Sooners host Iowa State this Saturday.
- Penn State 5-0 (4) – Dominating the Hoosiers from the outset, Penn State continues to stack wins. They head to Northwestern on Saturday but then face Michigan and Ohio State in consecutive weeks.
- Georgia 5-0 (7) – After Tennessee beat Georgia in 2015 and 2016, the Bulldogs went into Knoxville and embarrassed the Vols 41-0.
- Washington 5-0 (6) – Dominating their opponents, the Huskies average score this season is 44-11. They may have not been tested but they are winning in convincing fashion.
- TCU 4-0 (8) – The Horned Frogs enjoyed a bye week after beating Oklahoma State but a major test awaits them on Saturday in the form of West Virginia.
- Wisconsin 4-0 (11) – The Badgers joined the top-10 after taking care of Northwestern on Saturday.
- Michigan 4-0 (9) – The Wolverines were off last weekend but face rival Michigan State on Saturday.
- Ohio State 4-1 (10) – Our highest rated one-loss team, Ohio State has been on cruise control since being embarrassed by Oklahoma.
- Southern Cal 4-1 (5) – Vulnerable all season long, USC experienced its first loss of the season against Washington State.
- Miami 3-0 (14) – The Hurricanes knocked off previously undefeated Duke on Friday and continue to slowly creep up our poll. This team is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball.
- Washington State 5-0 (NR) – The undefeated Cougars made noise on Friday when they upset USC. Let’s see if they have staying power.
- Auburn 4-1 (15) – The offense has discovered itself over the last two weeks, scoring a combined 100 points over SEC foes.
- Oklahoma State 4-1 (13) – The Cowboys followed their disappointing loss to TCU with a narrow win over Texas Tech. Week 6 is a much-needed off week.
Others receiving votes: South Florida, Virginia Tech.
Dropping Out: Virginia Tech