With Week 9 now in the books, it’s time to release our staff rankings that now factor in the weekend that was in college football.
Each of the seven members of the NDT staff (Kyle Crabbs, Joe Marino, Roger Dixon, Scott Bischoff, Jon Ledyard, Benjamin Solak and Jonah Tuls) submitted their individual top-15 rankings that factored into the composite list by averaging them together.
Two of the top four teams fell last week, causing a shakeup in the rankings. We have two new playoff teams and welcome two others into our top 15 for the first time this year. NC State and South Florida’s stints in the poll were short-lived.
*Last weeks rank in parenthesis.
- Alabama 8-0 (1) – With 3 members of our staff voting for Georgia at No. 1, the Tide barely held on to the top spot. They were off last weekend but host LSU on Saturday night.
- Georgia 8-0 (3) – The Dawgs took three first-place votes from Alabama after dominating Florida on Saturday.
- Notre Dame 7-1 (10) – After convincingly beating NC State on Saturday, the Irish are a secret no more and are suddenly in the Playoff conversation.
- Ohio State 7-1 (7) – The Buckeyes return to the Playoff conversation after knocking off Penn State on Saturday. That early season loss to Oklahoma is firmly in the rear-view mirror.
- Clemson 7-1 (6) – The Tigers got back to its winning ways with a victory over Georgia Tech on Saturday. They travel to Raleigh to take on NC State this week who boast an undefeated ACC record.
- Penn State 7-1 (2) – The Lions got its first taste of defeat at the hands of Ohio State on Saturday. They will need to quickly put the loss behind them with another tough road test at Michigan State this week.
- Wisconsin 8-0 (5) – The Badgers may be undefeated but our staff is not impressed with its resume.
- Miami 7-0 (8) – It may not be pretty but the Canes keep stacking wins. With contests coming in the next two weeks against Virginia Tech and Notre Dame, we will quickly find out with they are made of.
- Oklahoma 7-1 (9) – Three of Oklahoma’s last four are against West Virginia, TCU and Oklahoma State. If they are a playoff team then they will prove it.
- Oklahoma State 7-1 (11) – The Cowboys answered the call on the road against West Virginia but the focus now turns to Saturday when they host Oklahoma.
- TCU 7-1 (4) – Like Oklahoma, the Frogs fell victim to Iowa State on Saturday for its first loss of the season. They will look to bounce back on Saturday against Texas.
- Virginia Tech 7-1 (12) – The Hokies continue to handled their business all season long minus the Clemson game. Don’t sleep on Virginia Tech.
- Washington 7-1 (13) – The Huskies came back from the bye and returned to its winning ways with a victory over UCLA. Four challenging conferences await the Huskies to close out the season.
- Central Florida 7-0 (NR) – After its seventh consecutive win to start the season, the Knights debut in our poll. Scott Frost has this team headed in the right direction.
- Iowa State 6-2 (NR) – With wins over Oklahoma and TCU on its resume, the Cyclones have captured the attention of our staff. Iowa State controls its own destiny in the Big 12 conference.
Others receiving votes: South Florida, LSU, Southern Cal.
Dropping Out: NC State, South Florida.